Who is Mungo Man, what does Mungo Lady tell us and where is Mungo Baby?

To find out the answers:

The length of Aboriginal occupancy vs European settlement of Australia

Further Reading

Q: What information surprised you? &

What has it left you wondering? 

82 thoughts on “Who is Mungo Man, what does Mungo Lady tell us and where is Mungo Baby?

1. Dear Miss Nadja,
    When I read the article about Mungo Man, I was shocked that the bones were over 40,000 years old! I am still wondering how are they not denigrated already.

2. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I am very interested about the story of Mungo Man and Woman. I am still wondering, what happened with Mungo Baby and I hope there will be more information about Mungo Baby.

3. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I was wondering what Mungo Man and Mungo Lady were doing together when they were together with each other.I also wonder what happen to Mungo Baby and is the family tree for the Mungos are still going.I was so surprise that Mungo Man bones were still there after 40,000 years ago in the middle of nowhere.

4. Dear Miss Nadja ,
    I am so intrigued how man actually lived 40 thousand years or even 80 thousand years ago! I am still wondering if there are even more bones of humans hidden inside the ground that are older than Mungo man and Mungo lady.

5. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I’m surprised at how old the bones and how the white settlement is much shorter compared to the Aboriginals.
    I’m still wondering why Mungo Man was in the lake in the first place.

6. Dear Ms Nadja,
    When I read the article about Mungo Man, I was so surprised when it said the bones were over 40,000 years old! I am still wondering how they kept the bones so well preserved.

7. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I was surprised that Mungo man’s bones were over 40,000 year old. I think Mungo man was named after the Lake Mungo which is in New South Wales. I’m still wondering where Mungo baby is.

8. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I was surprised how big the difference between the white settlement and the aboriginal setttlement. What wonders me most is how Mungo Man’s body shape and bones can stay under a lake for so many years.

9. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I was surprised how big the difference between the white settlements and the aboriginal setttlemet. What wonders me most is how Mungo Man’s body shape and bones can stay under a lake for so many years.

10. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I was really startled when I read about Mungo Man. I didn’t expect how a bone that old would be found after thousands of years. I am still wondering how someone found the bones. Overall, this story is fascinating and interesting!

11. Good morning/afternoon Ms Nadja,
    Ms Nadja I found information about mungo man and lady but not the baby,well 2 is better than 1.
    So this is what I found out , they were the first inhabitants of Australia and thats all.

12. Hi Miss Nadja,
    Just letting you know that I found information about mungo man and mungo lady but sorry that I did not find enough information about mungo baby because they were many different answers about mungo man.

Well thank you for your teachings in the library and I hope this helped!!

13. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I was very surprised that Mungo Man is one of the oldest Australian human remains. I question I was wondering was that if there are more undiscovered remains near Mungo Lake.

14. Dear miss nadja,

The information that suprised me most was that mungo man, mungo woman and mungo baby remained their in the lake for approximately 40,000 years.

I am still wondering how all their skeletons stayed in shape for such a long time.

15. Dear Miss Nadja,
    Mungo Man is an aboriginal, he is on of Australia’s greatest discoveries. Mungo Woman told us she collected bush tucker such as fish, shellfish, yabbies, wattle seeds and emu eggs, nourished her culture and taught her daughters the women’s lore. Her body was cremated, the remaining bones were crushed, burned again and then buried in the growing lunette. And Miss Nadja Srry but i could not find infomation about mungo baby.

16. I was surprised that Mungo man was older then 40,000

It life me wondering is mungo man and mungo lady marred

17. I was surprised that Mungo Man is one of the oldest human remains found. It has left me wondering how scientists find out how old skeletons are.

18. Dear Miss Nadja,
    I was surprised when I read that Mungo I, II and III’s bones remained after 40,000 years.
    I am still wondering what the burial ritual was about.

19. Dear Miss Nadja,
    What surprised me was how the skeleton of Mungo Man survived 40,000 years. I wonder skeletons have only been found in Mungo Lake.

1. Dear Mrs Nadja,

The information that surprised is how the skeletons are so important to the knowledge that the human society bares.

What I am wondering is how the bones aren’t very distorted and apart after 40,000 years.

20. Hello Miss Nadja,

Today I learnt that in New South Wales, there is a dry lake bed where the oldest dated humans remains in Australia have been found.

21. Dear miss Nadja
    i was wondering if they found the mungo lady and the mungo man why didn’t they find the mungo baby and also i was thinking how old the mungo baby will be and if it would of being a boy or a girl
    and one more thing how was there still bones left it was about 40,000 years ago wouldn’t the bones be disintegrated already?