The CBCA’s 2016 notable & shortlisted books announced! Which ones will you (re)read?

Did you know:The Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) is a not-for-profit, volunteer run organisation which aims to connect the community with literature for young Australians.

Last year it celebrated 70 years of presenting and promoting the best of Australian literature for the reading enjoyment of Australia’s children and young people.

The CBCA presents annual Book of the Year awards to books of literary merit, for outstanding contribution to Australian children’s literature. 

These awards are now the most influential and highly respected in Australia.

LAST YEAR the total number of entries for the 2015 Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year was 434. This includes 386 fiction entries and 48 non-fiction.”

The IMPORTANT DATES for 2016:

CBCA Book of the Year Notables were announced on April 18.

The Short List was announced on Friday May 20.

Have you ever wondered:

Here are Ten Interesting Facts

about the CBCA book of the year awards 2016!

Q: Which book from last year’s shortlist was your favourite? 

bkwk16

79 thoughts on “The CBCA’s 2016 notable & shortlisted books announced! Which ones will you (re)read?

1. My favourite shortlist book was the Stone Lion. Because I really liked the illustration and the story.

1. My favorite 2016 short listed book was PERFECT by Danny Parker . This is one of my favorite books because this story relates to my siblings and me living together.

2. Hello Miss Nadja,
    My favourite shortlisted book from last year was Pig the Pug because it was funny.
    However it still left me wondering why was he so selfish and greedy.

3. My favorite shortlisted book was Pig the Pug by Aaron Blabely, but also really liked the other shortlisted books and can’t wait to read the 2016 shortlisted books.

4. I now know that it’s okay to feel emotional because you will get used to the situation that you are in.

5. My favourite shortlisted book from last year was ‘My Two Blankets’ By: Irena Kobald and Freya Blackwood. I liked this book the most is because when I was in year 4 I was new to the school, so I kind of felt like Cartwheel. I started to make new friends and that’s when I actually clicked to the whole story.

1. Isn’t it wonderful how stories can mirror our lives and help us understand the events and ourselves better? Megha what do you now know about life that you did not know before you read the story?

6. Dear Miss Nadja,
    My favourite book from last year was ‘Pig the Pug’ by Aaron Blabey because it was very interesting and in had lots of humour, I am still wondering why the pug was selfish in the first place?

7. My favourite Shortlisted Book from 2015 was “Pig the Pug” by Aaron Blabey, because it had humour and it was very interesting.

8. I enjoyed the book ‘One minute silence’ because the story was very moving and it touched my heart.

9. Good morning/afternoon Miss Nadja,
    I really liked the story pig the pug it was funny and the illustrations were funny too.

10. My favorite shortlisted book from last year was One Minute Silence because it remind me of the ANZAC and how the Australian fought for us in the war.

1. How did it add to or change what you thought about the ANZACS and the Turkish soldiers Huy?

11. Good morning/ afternoon Miss Nadja,
    My favourite short listed book was’ I house of her own’.
    It was so creative and the illustrations were brilliant .

1. What did you like specifically about the illustrations Keerat? How were they different to other illustrations you have seen in other PF books?

12. Dear Miss Nadja,
    My favourite short listed book from last year was the “Stone Lion” because
    lions are wild creatures and it left me wondering why he didn’t want to
    be free and instead chose to stay as a stone lion.
    From Mina

13. Dear Miss Nadja,
    My favourite shortlisted book from last year was The Stone Lion. What I loved about the book was how the lion wanted to be like others, free and happy. I am wondering what changed the lion’s mind from wanting to be free to roam to returning to being a hard statue.
    Vivian

14. Good morning/afternoon MIss Nadja,
    one of my favourite shortlisted book is “The Stone Lion” by Margaret Wild. I found it interesting how the Stone Lion is very curious why people who pass him are laughing or crying. It makes me think that the lion doesn’t know what it feels like to have emotions.

15. My favourite book from last year was One Minute Of Silence because it makes me remember the brave people who fought for us that had died.

16. Hi Miss Nadja,

My favourite shortlisted book from last year was called the ” The Stone Lion” because I really liked how the Lion chose to rescue the baby instead of freedom.

17. My favourite shortlist book from last year was The Stone Lion by: Margaret Wild,i like the book because when I was little I heard a story about a stone lion that came to life and warned a lady that there was a flood coming.

18. My favourite short-listed book from last year was The Stone Lion because at the end the lion decided not to be real anymore and I kept wondering why?

19. Hello Ms. Nadja, my favourite short-listed book from last year is called “The Stone Lion” . It fed my imagination!

20. My favourite Short Listed Book was The Stone Lion because the story got me into a good mood for the whole day. I am still wondering why the Stone Lion didn’t want to be free?

21. Hi Miss Nadja,
    My favourite shortlisted book is Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas because of it’s silly and funny pictures which made my family laugh.

1. Dylan that is this year’s shortlisted book – reread the question please [PS. I agree completely with your comments about “Piranahs Don’t Eat Bananas!!! :D]

22. My favourite shortlisted book from last year was The Stone Lion because I still don’t know why the lion did not want to be free anymore.

23. My favorite short listed book last year is One Minute’s Silence because it tells the story of the ANZAC.

24. Hi Miss Nadja!
    My favourite shortlist book from last year was The Stone Lion by Margeret Wild because the story was very interesting and the pictures were very realistic. I am still wondering why the Stone Lion didn’t want to move and be free.

25. Dear Miss Nadja ,
    My favourite book was ‘The Cleo Stories’ because [ ] I like how Cleo is always inventive.

From Sarah

1. Dear Miss Nadja,
        My favourite episode of inventiveness is when Cleo doesn’t know what to give her mum for her birthday so Cleo comes in a big box with Cleo as the present.

From Sarah

26. Hello Miss Nadja My favourite shortlisted books were Scary nights by Lesley Gibbies because I like stories that are related to Journeys and is Thriller/Horror.

1. Josephine was it a quest or a journey? I think it was scary [he he he!] but not so scary that we would call it horror!!! [That might scare the junior readers out of their skins if it was!]

27. Good Morning / Afternoon Miss Nadja,
    My favourite shortlisted book is Fire.
    Fire is my favourite because it tells you about bushfire and how animal survives.

28. My favourite short listed book last year was: The Stone Lion by Margaret Wild (Illustrator: Riyva Voutila).

29. Good morning/afternoon Miss Nadja

My favourite short listed book from last year was ‘The Stone Lion’. I really liked it because it had some emotional parts in the book that makes me feel relax.

30. Good morning Miss Nadja,
    My favourite short listed book from last year was called Pig The Pug by Aron Balbey. It still left me wondering how long will he be friends with Trevor? I think there is a slight chance he will still be friends with Trevor after his injuries because Trevor was there for him when he was injured.

31. Dear Miss Nadja,
    My favorite shortlisted book was pig the pug because when you read the story you stopped at certain times throughout the book, it made me curious about what would happen next.

32. Good morning/ afternoon Miss Nadja,

Hello Miss Nadja! My favorite shortlisted book from last year is called One Minute’s Silence by David Metzenthen and illustrated by Michael Camilleri. I chose One Minute’s Silence as my favorite shortlisted book because it tells me to reflect on what the Australian and New Zealand soldiers did for our country.

1. Hello Emily! It is a wonderful and very powerful story and it gave me much to reflect upon – in ways I hadn’t before. How has it changed you/your thinking Emily? PS This is a BIG question so there is no need to hurry to answer it…but do think about it.

33. Hello Miss Nadja,

My favourite shortlisted book is Pig The Pug by Aron Balbey because the book made me laugh and I like books that make me laugh.

34. Hi Miss Nadja,
    My favourite shortlist book from last year was Pig the Pug by Aaron Blabey because it was very funny and the drawings of the pictures were so adorable.I am still wondering why the Pug was so greedy and selfish.

1. Hello Tina I too wonder what made him so greedy and selfish…qas it something that happened to him as a puppy?

1. Hi Miss Nadja,
        I think that when he was a puppy he was greedy and selfish to everyone. So when he got older he is still acting the same as when he was a puppy.

1. Same here Michaela. What are your favourite top three humourous picture-fiction stories?

35. Hello Miss Nadja,
    My favourite shortlisted book is Scary Night by Lesley Gibbies because I like stories that are related to Journeys and that are spooky.

1. Hmmm you have got me thinking Linda… which stories do I know that we have that are both adventure and ghost stories??? When you come in to the library again we will do a search of our library catalogue to see what we have. Please remind me.

1. But Tina,no one is born selfish or greedy, things happen to us and they have an effect on our thoughts and actions. I am still wondering what could have made him think only about himself?

36. My favourite short listed book from last year was also Pig the Pug by Aaron Blabely! I also saw the book Withering By Sea, I think it is really good and I have the book.

1. Hello Chloe! Have you read “Withering by the Sea” yet? Did you know that there is already a sequel to “Pig the Pug” (& that we have a kit available to borrow that includes a VERY cute “Pig”?)

37. My favourite shortlist book from last year was The Stone Lion by Margaret Wild because I really like lions and it left me wondering why the lion didn’t want to be free and move around like a real lion anymore at the end.

1. I am still wondering the same thing Dylan. What do you think could have made him want to stay what and where he was?

1. Maybe he wanted to stay because people could still sit next to him and talk to him when he is a statue but when he’s a real lion people would get scared and run away.

38. Hi Miss Nadja,
    My last year favourite shortlist book was called The stone Lion,Rivertime and Go to sleep Jessie.

1. That was one of my top 3 – infact it was my #1 and I still cannot believe it did not win the Gold Medallion! Have you read “Flood” by the same author Alex or any of her other stories? Let me know if you are interested?