Silent Heroes: who and how did they help soldiers during wartime?

Without the service of animals, many more Australians would have lost their lives during times of war.

Here are the Top 10 Animal Recruits in War!
A is for Animals

The role of animals in war was influenced by

the place they were, events and developments in Technology.

“Animals are put to many uses in war. Sometimes they have jobs to do: the horses, camels, mules, and donkeys used to transport soldiers and equipment, as well as carrier pigeons and tracker dog with their special talents. Often animals are used as mascots and pets, or as symbols on badges and flags. A is for animals also looks at those unwelcome animals, such as insects, rats, and wild creatures, that make life in the field even more difficult and dangerous.

The book M is for Mate was put together as part of an exhibition at the Australian War Memorial: A is for Animals and was shortlisted for the 2010 Children’s Book Council,  Book of the Year – Eve Pownall Award.”

We have it in our library  – you can look for it by searching the library catalogue.

M is for Mates

In the meantime you may like to visit the the website

or follow the hyperlinks below!

somme animals066578-121112-carrer-pigeonfront

Look at the photographs, watch the videos, read the stories: some of these are humorous, whilst others are heart-warming, quirky, serious and some are even very sad.

medal1

Q: How have the role of pigeons and dogs changed because of developments in technology?

3 thoughts on “Silent Heroes: who and how did they help soldiers during wartime?

1. Hello Ms Nadja are you well?
    From what I know, animals used to play big roles in the olden days. Animals/birds took photos, delivered mail, helped the soldiers and much more.

1. Hello Khanh! I am VERY well. How do you know these things about the past? Do you have any specific examples that not everyone knows about?

2. I was quite surprised that it’s animals. I thought it would be the women who were overlooked but seems like I was wrong.