So how will we find information to help us answer our big questions?

What does it mean 

to search for information compared  to research?

What is the difference?

USE your dictionary or 

GO TO the sidebar, SCROLL DOWN until you find the OXFORD DICTIONARY ONLINE [click on the link!]

hmmm…read and think about the meanings:

Which words or phrases stand out?

What do they tell you about the difference between the two activities?

Before we are ready to research

(later at secondary and tertiary level), 

we need to know

how to search for information 

step by step!

…think about what Miss Nadja has been trying to teach you to do

when we have a big question for which we need to find answers:

Let me know what you have learnt!

NOW GO TO ergo| research skills

Let me now what you notice!

30 thoughts on “So how will we find information to help us answer our big questions?

1. What I noticed was that each step was similar to searching but you have to do the step more deeply than searching. Up until now I always thought that research was like searching but now I know it isn’t.

Anna E 5/6 WM

1. Good job Anna – the main difference is that when we search we are just looking for answers that are already somewhere out there in books, articles, research papers in the actual and virtual worlds; whereas with research the investigation/close study results in new ideas/information!

2. Miss Nadja the research steps were very helpful and now if l have anymore projects l will follow the research steps.

1. Great! That is what I hoped – it will be a richer and more rewarding process for you as a learner. let me know when next you will give the steps a go – I am always here/nearby to give support/advice/feedback – happily!

3. Hello Miss Nadja,
    We can look up the definition of research in the dictionary or use the website you have told us to have a look at, it is very good to have you in school!

4. Hi Miss Nadja,

This website really guide us through the process of research. It is really handy especially when we have just receive a project in Music.

1. Great Doan! [At this stage I want you to think about what we are learning to do is an “Information Search Process” so that we understand the kind of thinking that you need to be able to do step by step, so that one day when you need to or want to research a big question – ie to investigate it thoroughly and study it closely to come to new answers and understandings, you will be ready to do it well!

1. Hello Miss Nadja,

Yes, because of what Miss Nadja has taught us, when we do research in the future we will have a general understanding of the process and steps, which we will use to answer the query that has been put in front of us.

1. Vinh, hello – stick with the dictionary to look up meanings of a word and use the WorldBook online or the Encyclopedia Britannica to find general information about the word [if it is a person, place, animal, thing or idea], to get that some basic understanding of the subject!

5. I have been on the Blog and I know now what the difference between search and research.
    search is about trying to find something by looking or otherwise seeking carefully and thoroughly.
    research is about to study facts and reach new conclusion.

1. That’s great Kevin – spot on! But you must to put any words/phrases that you copied from the dictionary in quotation marks and write where you found the definition – and don’t forget to show that you learnt about capital letters – if you don’t use them people won’t know that you know how to use them! PS Please collect three stickers next time you are in the library!

6. I now understand the differences between ‘research’ and ‘search’. Research takes a very long time to study a topic, and is usually for University students. Search is when you find some information and use them as your project. You don’t really study about a topic for your project.

1. Michelle you do study but your project is just presenting the information that is already out there – University students especially at post graduate level and especially scientists across all fields are investigating/studying materials, events, organisms, systems, etc to come to new understandings!

7. Hello,
    I think this website is the best I’ve seen so far these steps have actually helped me a lot.

8. Hi Miss Nadja,
    I noticed that this specific website shows us step by step how to research. This has helped my a lot in my work and i will try to use it more often.

9. Hi Miss Nadja
    I feel that Jandamarra is a very nice person but I don’t know why he stole things?

1. Christina it may help once I read the book “Jandamarra” by Mark Greenwood to the class, that his reasons for doing things becomes clearer.

10. The difference is that search doesn’t take as much time then research. Research could take many weeks or years while search take a few minutes. Research is like making an essay where you have to find out what your researching, get some information about it and put it all together.

1. Linda read my responses to Doan’s and Michelle’s comments to get a better understanding of the difference.

11. Dear miss Nadja,
    Thank you for putting this post up. Now I know what’s the different between research and search 🙂

1. Good! Now the important thing is to learn how to search well and safely so that we can be built upon it and develop the range of skills needed to do great research!

12. Hi Miss Nadja,

Research is work that in involves studying something and trying to find out facts about it.

If you search for something, you look for it in several places.

Miss Nadja, do we say this in my library lesson?

1. Day so far so good re: your information about Jandamarra – but I need you to think more about difference between searching for information which we do and researching which is what scientists do.

13. I learnt that to search means to look, feel or go over in order to find someting. To research means to study and investigation, especially to discover new facts. That’s what my dictionary says that it means. I wonder why they didn’t mention anything about internet in those words ..

1. San Nhi did you use the online dictionary on the right sidebar? Come in and we will do it together if you are having trouble or you do not have a dictionary at home that makes the difference clear to you.

1. Alisha it isn’t that we can’t, it is that we don’t [reread the definitions of research in your dictionary]: what we should be learning at primary school is how to search for information that is relevant, current and trustworthy in answer to any questions we have or are given.