What celebration of books & reading are we preparing for?

What?  Where?  When?  Who?  How?  Why?

[These are the most powerful questions that you can ask about anything! Do you know them in order & off by heart?]

What are we celebrating?
Where will the celebrations take place?
When are we celebrating?
Who is celebrating?
How will we celebrate?
Why do we celebrate?

To find out the answers to these questions look carefully at the image above, read the following paragraph 

Each year, schools and public libraries across Australia spend a week celebrating books and Australian authors and illustrators. Classroom teachers, teacher librarians and public librarians develop activities, offer competitions and tell stories relating to a theme to highlight the importance of reading.” [CBCA, The Children’s Book Council of Australia, viewed 20/7/14, <http://cbca.org.au>]

and follow this link to find out the THEME of this years’ Book Week celebrations:

The Childrens' Book Council of Australia

[ie What are the kinds of things you read?

What are all the ways you access things to read – in the real and virtual worlds?]

• How does reading connect you: to yourself? – to the world? – to the world of others? 

Then, find out which books have been shortlisted and how they have been chosen for the  CBCA Book of the Year Awards:

cbca shortlist bronze medallion

• Which of these books have you read? What connections did they make for you?

[ie What did you think/imagine that you had never thought/imagined before?]

• Which ones would you like to read? Why? MM910001085

26 thoughts on “What celebration of books & reading are we preparing for?

1. Hi Miss Nadja
    Reading connects to me all the time like when
    I think of something it always leads to another thought
    and another. One of those thoughts would be about a book.
    I am looking forward to BOOK WEEK so badly.
    Well see you around 🙂

2. Hi Miss Nadja,

Recently I’ve read a book called ‘Dork Diaries’. Nikki the character from this story had many awkward and embarrassing moments which I could relate to.

3. Miss Nadja Book Week is the best part of the year! I will never forget it. Thanks for all the hard work you put in it.

4. Hello Miss Nadja,
    I am still thinking about how I connect to reading and after all these days I came up with that I connect by reading scary books: I really enjoy mysteries and ghost stories. That
    is how I sometimes choose a book and that catch my eye.

5. Hi Miss Nadja,
    I am looking forward to Book Week this year. The theme is a very good choice because not only is it a great theme but it helps connect everyone to the world of books and imagination. This theme also allows us to open our eyes widely in order to enter the world of books. That is why I am really looking forward to Book Week this year and once again I can’t wait!

1. hello Tracey I agree!It is very relevant and very powerful – everything and everyone is connected in some way and stories connect us to everyone everything across time and distance! I too can”t wait…but so much to do in the meantime!

6. Hi Miss Nadja, I have read two books from the shortlisted books. I read ‘King Pig’ by Nick Bland and ‘The Windy Farm’ by Craig Smith. I adore your blog, it’s very thought-provoking.

1. Oh Cindy it gives me great pleasure to read your comment – that is my aim- always – to give us things to worth thinking about widely and deeply!!! Have you collected your Book Week 2014 limited edition stickers. I am very interested in your response to the illustrations of both books – particularly the front covers.

7. Hello Miss Nadja,

Reading connects to me when the book has adventures and friendship situations. These kinds of books interest me because it’s about working together and getting along to solve a problem or a mystery. Some other types of book I connect to are cooking, art and craft and drawing.

Alicia T
    5/6Ma

8. Hello Miss Nadja,
    great blog Miss Nadja I think this blog is great for me because it contains a lot of things that can help me with my homework for example: how to stay safe on the internet and more.

9. Hello Miss Nadja

Thank you Miss Nadja for leaving the link to the CBCA website it helped with my library homework a lot, I also think I found the answer to the homework you gave. Thank you again I look forward to library.

From Kimberly

1. Good on you for taking up the invitation to connect! As you found the answers to your questions, did you learn anything that surprised you?

2. Hello Kimberly – I am very happy that you took my advice and you have found it useful! Did you come across anything that surprised you or has made you wonder?

10. Hi Miss.Nadja,

I have just memorized the most powerful questions about anything! (what, where, when, who, how and why )

I connect to reading by selecting a great book that has a similar character to me and imagine that while the story is going on in the book, I’m a character myself that follows everything that’s going on.

Again, great blog and I look forward to my next library lesson and book week!! 🙂

1. Hello Martina – Great to read that you did! – You will find them very VERY useful for everything and for all time!!!
      I am very curious to know which character from which book you have recently read from our library that most resembles YOU Martina!

11. Hi Miss Nadja, thank you for the questions it really helped with my homework. Also when is Book Week going to begin.

1. Hello Alisha I am glad that you found the information and it was helpful – Good Job! If you move your cursor over the blue CBCA logo it will take you to their website. From there read the tabs and don’t be afraid to have a good look around until you find the answer and then let me know what it is and where you found it!

12. This post also helped me do my homework and I’m glad that Miss Nadja added it to the blog

13. Hello Miss Nadja I learnt that this year This year’s Children’s Book Week artwork has been created by Ron Brooks, winner of the 2013 Picture Book of the year award and he also uses a scratch-board technique.

I also did do my questions but my questions might not make sense and they look pretty poor so I am sorry if you don’t like it but I did do them I’ll show you back at school.

1. Johnson, hello. Thank you for warning me. We will workshop a solution when you come in with your work. Maybe in the future, do a draft in pencil lightly that can be reworked with later when you are fresh! See you in the library!

14. Hello Miss Nadja,

This page what, where, when, who, how, why. helps me with my homework thank you Miss Nadja.

15. Hello Miss Nadja,
    Reading connects to me depending on the type of books that I read. There could be books that connect to my life and my thoughts.

I am looking forward to seeing your next post!
    Bye Miss Nadja

1. Hello Doan I am interested in the details so, use whichever book you have read recently and explain how it is connected to you/your thoughts/feelings/life or how &/or why you connected to the story!

16. Hello Miss Nadja,
    I had went onto the website CBCA and found out that this year’s theme for book week is “Connect to Reading”. Some of the Book of the Year Awards Short List 2014 are Life in Outer Space…from the older readers, Violet Mackerel’s Possible Friend …..for the younger readers, Baby Bedtime …..for the early childhood, The Treasure Box ……. the picture book of the year, Jeremy ….. Eve Pownall Award for Information Books. There are more books for any age groups there’re plenty amazing books that have been award Shortlisted of the Year. Out of the books I only read one and that book is Jeremy from the Eve Pownall Award for Information Books. I would like to read all the books I had listed above this is because when I was looking at the page those books were the ones that caught my eyes. That is why I choose them out of the other ones.

These are the sites that I got most of my Information from:
    http://cbca.org.au/ShortList-2014.htm
    http://cbca.org.au/previousthemes.htm

1. Great job Tracy! Why not come in at lunchtime and read the PF books that have caught your eye and reserve any longer reads for next month when all the CBCA’s shortlisted books become available. In the meantime start thinking about the BIG Question for this term: how are you connected to reading and how reading connects you? See you in the library Tracy!